Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Off to a slow start.

So, Visco created this sweet blog to have everyones well formed ideas,thoughts, passions expressed onto this whiteboard medium, just to see no one write anything. So we are off to a slow start.

I'd like to bring back an old blog both Steve and I touched upon at one point. The topic of discussion was about the length of time to stay at your current employer. Both Steve's dad and my dad have been at their jobs for 30+ years. I have had 4 different jobs since I been out of college and guess what? Yup, next Monday I'll be on my fifth.

Sounds a little crazy, I know. But I really attribute my short term record to the profession that I am in; Computers, programming. My positions requires me to learn new things every day. It's a constant game of sudoku or crossword puzzle. With learning new things all the time, or at least wanting/needing to learn new things all the time, it becomes clear of your companies stance on growth. You easily see the direction that they are heading. This vision has been a clear reason for my new job searches.

I am really excited about my new position. I will be the technical lead at a company that does not have a strong technical division. I will have the chance to mold and form this division as I see fit. Almost like starting my own company, but already having a thriving company behind you. The name you ask? Well, I'll leave that out, but call me /email me if you want any more juice details. I'll still be in p-town.

So let the comments pour in. How long have you been at the same employer. Have you ever left? Why?

5 comments:

J.V. said...

I have been at my current company for 1 1/2 years now. That's the longest I've been anywhere (counting places of residence) since I graduated high school.

I almost left 6 months ago when I found a job that I would have enjoyed. It would have been a substantial raise, much better benefits (read: State benefits), and I could have taken the T downtown and thus not driven to work every day. Unfortunately, I was overqualified.

Moreover, my current company recently gave me an opportunity to be trained on at a new job that is exploding right now. I am now learning Information Architecture. All I have to do is finish training my replacement.

To make a long story short, I see myself staying at this company for at least two more years. If that ends up being the case, I will potentially be here 3 1/2 years.

s said...

I have been at my current job, at varying levels, since April 2000. Some days, like today, I enjoy this. My boss and I just had a planning session where we talked about all the progress we've made since I started and where we wanted to be over the foreseeable future. I do believe that to see real progress, you need to stick with a job for a while. Real progress in a job can't really be counted in months, it's how you see progress or regression over the years that counts.

Of course, the stagnation part of it is the most frustrating part of it. I have days where I have problems that have been happening for eight years, and they have not improved, sometimes due to laziness, other times due to bad management.

Some days, I feel like my job is worth sticking with, other days, not so much.

Today I'm going to stick around for a bit. Tomorrow? Ask me tomorrow.

Major said...

Let's see. I am teacher and I have had 2 teaching jobs. Four years at Ellsworth High School and I am now in my 5th year at South Portland High School. Left Ellsworth so I could move to "the big city". Leaving teaching jobs is complicated because you have to tip toe around the administration. Plus, you don't want the kids to think you are leaving the school because of them. (I know, I am a sappy teacher) How long will I stay? My thoughts are like Steve's. Some days I love South Portland and others not so much. I will always work with kids though in some capacity.

JR said...

Huh. Not sure i fit into this debate. I've had at least 10 jobs since i left college. Some of them were different positions within the same construct, some overlapped. I suppose this is the definition of not actually having a career. At all.

s said...

Come on Johnson, skiing can be a career. Don't sell yourself short.